When we travel in the RV, we like to make food ahead of time and freeze it. It’s especially nice to have something delicious for breakfast without starting the day by cooking and cleaning. This crustless hot pepper and sausage quiche is easy to make ahead and reheat in the microwave. It’s also gluten-free! I usually make two: one to eat now and one to freeze for later.
Do you prefer printed recipes? Download Karen’s Kitchen – A Collection of Favorite Recipes for only $7.50. This cookbook contains 204 easy-to-follow recipes.
I always make crustless quiche because it’s much easier, it reheats better, and I’m gluten intolerant.
Quick quiche tips
I highly recommend chopping the fillings in the food processor:
- Peel the garlic cloves and slice the larger ones in half. Add them to the bottom of the food processor.
- Cut the peppers into about one-inch slices or less. Add them on top of the garlic.
- Peel the onion, cut in half, then cut the half into fourths. Add the quartered half-onion on top of the peppers.
- Pulse the mixture until the onions are uniformly chopped.
- Set the mixture aside, and process the stemmed basil separately.
Do not mix the basil with the other filling ingredients at this point.
If you are doubling the recipe, process in batches. Don’t overfill your food processor.
About quiche substitutions
The recipe calls for ground Italian sausage, but you can substitute ground pork or even omit the sausage for a vegetarian meal. I once made it with ground wild boar, and it was delicious.
If you’re not into spicy foods, just substitute bell peppers for the hot peppers or omit the peppers entirely. Once you have one quiche recipe, you can use any ingredients you like. There are only three rules to follow for a perfect crustless quiche:
- Use five whole eggs.
- Use three cups of your favorite shredded cheese.
- Drain any excess moisture from the fillings before you add them to the eggs and cheese.
Crustless Hot Pepper and Sausage Quiche
- Large skillet
- Large mixing bowl
- Glass, 9-inch pie pan
- Food processor (recommended)
- ½ lb Ground Italian sausage
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil unrefined
- ½ red onion chopped
- ½ cup Hot peppers chopped
- 8 cloves garlic chopped
- 4 oz Fresh basil stemmed and chopped
- 5 Eggs
- 3 cup Italian blend cheese shredded
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp Ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and lightly grease a pie pan.1 tbsp Coconut oil
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain.½ lb Ground Italian sausage
- While the sausage browns, chop the onions, peppers, and garlic in the food processor in batches.½ red onion, ½ cup Hot peppers, 8 cloves garlic
- Add the oil, onions, peppers, and garlic to the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft.
- Remove from heat, and stir in chopped basil.4 oz Fresh basil
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, salt, and pepper. Add the cheese and mix well.5 Eggs, ¼ tsp salt, ⅛ tsp Ground black pepper, 3 cup Italian blend cheese
- Add the cooled sausage mixture, and stir to blend well. Scoop into the prepared pie pan.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until the eggs have set and a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Let the quiche cool for 10 minutes before serving.
How’d you like it?
Leave a comment and a rating below to let us know your impression of this crustless hot pepper and sausage quiche recipe.
4 thoughts on “Crustless Hot Pepper and Sausage Quiche”
Does the recipe make two pies? . I can eat this great low carb meal.
Hi Joyce, just double the recipe to make two at a time. It freezes and reheats well! (I made two yesterday!)
Thanks, Pat! Glad you liked it. 🙂