This gluten-free cornbread recipe is also dairy-free. The texture is just like my traditional cornbread: moist, slightly fluffy, and not too sweet.
I never liked cornbread. It always tasted dry, flavorless, and gritty to me. Then I started making my own traditional cornbread. It was moist and fluffy, and I fell in love with this Southern staple.
When I discovered that I am gluten intolerant, moist, delicious cornbread just wasn’t something I was willing to give up. This gluten-free cornbread recipe is an adapted version of my original cornbread—and it’s dairy-free. Gluten-free cornbread is the perfect accompaniment to Easy, Make-Ahead Chili.
How to make gluten-free cornbread
Gluten-free cornbread is just as easy to make as traditional cornbread. You just need to adjust a few ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Mix the dry ingredients.
Use a medium bowl and a wire whisk for best results.
- Add the liquid ingredients.
Stir with a fork until the batter is only slightly lumpy. Don’t overmix.
- Pour the batter into a lightly greased iron skillet.
You can also use a loaf pan or other baking pan.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes.
It is done when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
This gluten-free cornbread recipe is easy, tastes great, and reheats like a dream.
For summer camping, make it ahead of time, and freeze or refrigerate individual servings in tight containers. Then zap the cornbread in the microwave for a quick treat. For winter camping, bake it in the RV, and let your oven—and the cornbread—provide cozy warmth.
We took the RV across Texas to have a “nontraditional” Thanksgiving with our son, and cornbread was a key feature.
We hope you enjoy this recipe!
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Cornbread
- Cast iron skillet
- Medium mixing bowl
- 1 cup all-purpose, gluten-free flour no xanthan gum
- 1 cup gluten-free cornmeal coarse grain, yellow
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 4 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1⅛ cup cashew, soy, or other milk unsweetened
- ⅓ cup Coconut oil melted, plus a little more for greasing the pan
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Lightly grease a cast iron skillet.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl with a whisk.1 cup all-purpose, gluten-free flour, 1 cup gluten-free cornmeal, ⅓ cup sugar, 4 tsp gluten-free baking powder, 1 tsp salt
- Add the liquid ingredients, and stir with a fork until only a few lumps remain. Don't overmix.1⅛ cup cashew, soy, or other milk, ⅓ cup Coconut oil, 1 egg, 1 egg white
- Pour the mixture into the skillet and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. It is done when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
How’d you like it?
Leave a comment and a rating below to let us know your impression of this gluten-free, dairy-free cornbread recipe.
One thought on “Gluten-Free Cornbread Recipe – Dairy-Free Too”
Thanks for the recipe! My family finished it off the first day. I had not been able to find a gluten-free cornbread recipe this fluffy. (I did increase the sugar because I like my cornbread sweet.)