This chicken and rice Instant Pot recipe is easy to make with minimal prep. It is the perfect one-pot wonder for RV cooking in your pressure cooker or Instant Pot. This dish is dairy-free, and also has a gluten-free option.
I made this recipe in a six-quart pressure cooker, but you can use the same instructions for an eight-quart Instant Pot. If you have a four-quart Instant Pot, reduce the amount of chicken to 1.5 pounds, and keep everything else the same.
I adapted this Instant Pot recipe from an old family recipe that my grandmother always made, except this version only requires one pot and no hot oven. It’s so easy to make in the RV.
Do you prefer printed recipes? Download Karen’s Kitchen – A Collection of Favorite Recipes for only $7.50. This cookbook contains 204 easy-to-follow recipes.
You need two items for this Instant Pot chicken and rice casserole recipe:
- Instant Pot or other pressure cooker
- Wooden spoon (or any non-metal spoon)
I use the term Instant Pot in this recipe, but you can use any brand of pressure cooker.
If you like the awesome, wooden, rainbow spoon shown in the recipe, you can grab one on Amazon. I have the whole set that includes the cute little salad hands to make cooking more fun in the RV!
Simple Ingredients for Chicken and Rice in the Instant Pot
This recipe only has three main ingredients, a little oil, and some spices. A salad or green vegetable goes great with this easy chicken and rice recipe.
- Bone-in chicken, any type
- Long-grain brown rice
- Onion soup mix, like this gluten-free version or Lipton’s Onion Soup Mix
- Avocado oil, light olive oil (not extra virgin), refined coconut oil, or any fat with a high smoke point
- Red pepper flakes (optional if you don’t like spicy food)
- Sprinkle of paprika for color
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Casserole
Making Instant Pot chicken and rice casserole is easy, especially in an RV. Any bone-in chicken pieces will work. I don’t recommend using boneless chicken as it might dry out. The bone-in chicken is so tender and just falls off the bone when it comes out of the Instant Pot.
TIP If you’re in a hurry, you can omit the browning steps, remove the skin from the chicken, salt and pepper both sides, then skip to step 6.
- Salt and pepper both sides of the chicken pieces.
- Add some oil to the Instant Pot, and set it to saute.
- When the oil is shimmery, add the chicken pieces in a single layer, turning once until golden brown on both sides.
Don’t turn the chicken until you can move it around slightly without it sticking to the bottom. This is the secret! The chicken pieces should be lightly browned but not anywhere near done.
- Press the Cancel button, and move the chicken pieces to a plate.
- Add a little of the hot water to the pot, and deglaze it with a wooden spoon to free up any chicken stuck to the bottom.
This step is must easier and quicker than I expected, but it’s important so the bits don’t burn when you’re pressure cooking.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except for the chicken and paprika.
- Arrange the chicken in a single layer over the rice. Close the lid, seal the valve, and cook on high pressure for 40 minutes.
- Release the pressure naturally for 10 minutes. Press the Cancel button, and serve the best tasting, easiest chicken and rice you can make in an RV!
Let me know in the comments if you try this easy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice recipe.
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Pressure cooker
- Wooden spoon
- 1 tbsp Avocado oil or other oil with a high smoke point
- Kosher salt for the chicken
- Ground black pepper for the chicken
- 2 pounds Bone-in chicken pieces salted and peppered on both sides
- 2¼ cups Hot water
- 4 TBSP Onion soup mix like Lipton's, or use my gluten-free version
- 1½ cups Long-grain brown rice rinsed
- ¼ tsp Dried rosemary leaves or to taste, optional
- 1 tsp Crushed red pepper flakes or to taste, optional
- Paprika for color
Brown the Chicken
- Turn the Instant Pot to Saute, and add the oil to the liner pot. When the oil is shimmery, arrange the chicken in a single layer.1 tbsp Avocado oil, Kosher salt, 2 pounds Bone-in chicken pieces, Ground black pepper
- Turn the chicken when you can move the pieces without them sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Cook until golden brown on both sides. Chicken should be browned but not cooked through.
- Press the Cancel button, and move the browned chicken to a plate.
Mix the Rice and Spices
- Add some of the water to the pressure cooker liner. Deglaze the pot with a wooden spoon to dislodge any bits stuck to the bottom.
- Add the rest of the water and the onion soup mix. Stir.2¼ cups Hot water, 4 TBSP Onion soup mix
- Add the rice, rosemary, and red pepper flakes, and stir again.1½ cups Long-grain brown rice, ¼ tsp Dried rosemary leaves, 1 tsp Crushed red pepper flakes
Complete the Dish
- Arrange the browned chicken in a single layer on top of the rice mixture.
- Ensure that the valve is sealed, and cook on high pressure for 40 minutes.
- Release the pressure naturally for 10 minutes, then quick-release any additional pressure, and press Cancel.
- Sprinkle chicken with a small amount for paprika for appearance, and serve with the rice.Paprika